New Orleans Pelicans All-Star forward Brandon Ingram is already preparing to represent the United States at the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup next month in the Philippines. He’ll now be joined in his preparations by a pair of familiar faces.
Herbert Jones and Trey Murphy III have been named as part of the 14-man 2023 USA Basketball Men’s Select Team. The announcement was made by USA Basketball on Monday.
The USA Select team is comprised of current NBA players, as well as players with experience with the NBA, NBA G League, international leagues, and USA Basketball. They will join Team USA at its camp in Las Vegas from August 3-6 to train and scrimmage.
|Cade Cunningham||G||Detroit Pistons|
|Jalen Duren||F/C||Detroit Pistons|
|Jalen Green||G||Houston Rockets|
|Quentin Grimes||F/C||New York Knicks|
|Chet Holmgren||C||Oklahoma City Thunder|
|John Jenkins||G||G League Ignite|
|Herbert Jones||G/F||New Orleans Pelicans|
|Eric Mika||C||G League Ignite|
|Trey Murphy III||F||New Orleans Pelicans|
|Keegan Murray||F||Sacramento Kings|
|Payton Pritchard||G||Boston Celtics|
|Naz Reid||F/C||Minnesota Timberwolves|
|Jaylen Williams||G/F||Oklahoma City Thunder|
It was also announced that Orlando Magic head coach Jamahl Mosley will take the same role with the 2023 USA Select Team. Joining his staff will be Indiana Pacers assistant Jim Boylen and Purdue University head coach . Boylen previously served as head coach of the February 2022 and November 2021 USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Teams.
Ingram, who was named to the Men’s National Team last month, will be the first Hornets/Pelicans player to compete for Team USA since Anthony Davis in 2014.
As part of Group C, the U.S. opens the 2023 FIBA World Cup against New Zealand on Aug. 26, followed by Greece on Aug. 28 and Jordan on Aug. 30. The New Zealand and Greece contests tip off at 7:40 a.m. CT with Jordan starting at 3:40 a.m. CT. ESPN and FIBA recently announced that all 92 World Cup games will be available on various ESPN platforms. Six games will air exclusively on ESPN2, including three in the first round featuring USA Basketball. All other 86 games will be carried by ESPN+ while also being available on FIBA’s official streaming service, Courtside 1891.
Before arriving in Manila, the USA Men’s National Team will hold training camp Aug. 3-6 in Las Vegas before playing a series of exhibition games as part of the USA Basketball Showcase, which tips off Aug. 7 vs. Puerto Rico at Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena. The USA will also face Slovenia on Aug. 12 and Spain on Aug. 13 in Malaga, Spain, and Greece and Germany on Aug. 18 and 20, respectively, in Abu Dhabi.
- Dyson Daniels Takes Important Step Forward in 2023 Summer League
- New Orleans Pelicans Lose 117-114 Barn-Burner to Philadelphia 76ers
- Seabron Pushes Pelicans Past Hornets 89-83, New Orleans Improves to 3-1 in Vegas Summer League
- Pelicans Notch 94-86 Summer League Victory Over Warriors Behind Strong Guard Play
- Pelicans Get Strong Summer Debuts From Daniels, Hawkins, and Liddell; Fall to Timberwolves 102-88
- Herb Jones’ Extension Highlights Trio of Signings For Pelicans; 14 Players Now on Active Roster
- Pelicans Release 2K24 2023 Summer League Roster
- Pelicans Agree to Deal With Center Cody Zeller
- Pelicans Keep Herb Jones In The Nest With $54M Extension